Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Sound of Silence.

I work alone in my own apartment. My partner leaves by 8AM and doesn’t return home until 6:30PM. The only people I see at work are my clients, one person at a time in a very relaxed atmosphere with some soft mood music in the background.
If I have to run some errands it is during the day when business is slow, I experience the world slightly different than when I was working in Corporate. The stores are much emptier, few crowds, even the grocery store is peaceful. Yes there is the occasional screaming child but there is usually only one and not a whole slew of them. Even the Laundromat is pretty peaceful during the week day.
Then the weekend comes and I go out with my partner. OMG! The noise level is terrible out there folks! No wonder people need massages! The yelling, the screaming, and I swear whoever invented cell phones needs to be shot. Try talking in a normal voice people, I bet they can still here you. You would think that the texting craze would help, but now people just talk to whomever is with them about who they are texting with.
I am not saying that people should walk around in silence and not have a good time. I understand that volume of the human voice often goes up when a person is excited. It’s just that there are other people in the world who end up hearing everything you say whether they want to or not. We seem a lot less civilized than we used to be.

No comments: